Skip to Main Content

IHSS Recipients

Important Information


The California Department of Public Health issued a public health order on September 28, 2021, requiring certain providers to be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine by November 30, 2021.

This health order does not apply to a provider who:

  • Lives with the recipient(s), or
  • Provides services to a family member(s); and
  • Only provides services to a single household.

If your provider is not related to you and/or does not live with you, they must get vaccinated.

Your provider may request for an exemption from the vaccine requirement for a qualified medical reason or religious belief.  To be exempted, your provider must provide you a signed copy of the COVID-19 Vaccination Exemption Form.

To qualify for the qualified medical reason exemption, your provider must include a written statement signed by the doctor, nurse practitioner, or other licensed medical professional under the license of a physician, stating that the provider qualifies for the exemption and indicating the length of the exemption (may be unknown or permanent).

If you have determined that your provider is eligible for one of the exemptions, then, you must require your provider to:

  1. Obtain a weekly COVID-19 test at one of the State testing sites (COVID-19 Testing Sites in California) until vaccinated; and
  2. Wear a surgical mask or N95 mask, at all times, while providing services in your home.  Masks may be obtained from the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC).

NOTE: As the recipient and employer of record, you are responsible for requesting from your provider the proof of vaccination or the completed and signed vaccination exemption form, determine whether your provider is eligible for an exemption, and enforce the vaccination requirements. 

IMPORTANT: If your provider tests positive for COVID-19, they should not be providing IHSS services.  For help with finding a new care provider during your provider’s absence, you can contact:

Basic Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for IHSS you must:

  • Be 65 years old or older, blind, and/or disabled as defined by Social Security Administration (SSA) standards.  Disabled children are also potentially eligible for IHSS;
  • Be a United States citizen or a noncitizen with satisfactory immigration status;
  • Be a California resident;
  • Live in your own home.  Hospitals, nursing homes, and licensed community care facilities are not considered “own home”;
  • Be eligible for Medi-Cal benefits:
  • Receive or be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or State Supplemental Payments (SSP); or
  • Meet all SSI/SSP eligibility criteria except for income or citizenship or immigration status.
  • Applicants who do not receive SSI/SSP payments or Medi-Cal benefits must first be determined to receive Medi-Cal benefits under Medi-Cal rules and regulations;
  • Individuals with income above the SSI/SSP limits, may be required to pay for a portion of their IHSS benefits.  This is called a “Share of Cost”.  A “Share of Cost” means you may be required to pay for a portion of your IHSS benefits directly to your provider.
  • Participate in a home assessment interview; and
  • Obtain a health care certification from a licensed health care professional (physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, etc.) indicating that you are unable to safely perform one or more activities and without IHSS, would be at risk of placement in out-of-home care. Applicants may provide the following form to certify their need for IHSS:
  • Personal property may not exceed $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
  • Properties that will not count in determining your eligibility:
  • The home you own and live in;
  • One automobile needed for transportation to appointments or work; and
  • All life insurance policies if the combined face value is not more than $1,500.

Properties that will count

  • Cash on hand;
  • Checking and saving accounts;
  • Value of stocks, bonds, and trust deeds;
  • Value of real property other than the home you own or live in;
  • Additional automobiles and recreational vehicles; and
  • Promissory notes and loans.
Recipient Frequently Asked Questions
Senior man with care worker at home