Restaurant owners who wish to participate in the Restaurant Meal Program (RMP) must enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Los Angeles County.
Effective January 1, 2015, both new and participating restaurants are required to meet all requirements of the "5-Healthier Options" system to qualify for RMP participation. The determination of the requirements is based on the restaurant menu and the information the restaurant owner has provided on the "Worksheet for Healthier Options."
There are five necessary requirements in the "5-Healthier Options" system.
- Offer at least two fruit and/or vegetable side items that meet the benchmark described in the worksheet. The two fruit and/or vegetable side items must appear on the menu.
- Have at least 12 ounces of drinking water available, at no cost to customers.
- Have at least one whole grain item available during all meal periods that meets the benchmark described in the worksheet. The whole grain items available on the menu must be at no added cost to the customers.
- Offer at least one discounted meal, advertised special, or sale priced meal that includes at least two of the three following healthy options:
- Non-fried fruit and/or vegetable side items,
- Whole grains, or
- Healthier meal preparation: grill, bake, boil, roast, poach, stir-fry and steam.
- Prominently display the DPSS-provided signage.