Skip to Main Content

Violence Against Woman Act (VAWA)

Closed Captioning (subtitles) in multiple languages, can be enabled by using the CC icon. Select your preferred language using the GEAR icon.

These persons may include:
  • The spouse of a US citizen legal permanent resident when the abuser is the US citizen legal resident spouse or a member of his/her family living in the home;
  • The child of a US citizen or legal permanent resident when the abuser is the parent, parent's spouse, or family member of the parent or parent's spouse living in the home;
  • The child of the battered spouse; and/or
  • The parent of the battered child.
If you are one of these persons, we can refer you to talk to an attorney who can provide you with legal help!

If you file a petition to adjust your immigration status, you may be able to obtain cash benefits and domestic violence services through CalWORKs while your petition is being reviewed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

If you are already receiving benefits for your family and need help with your immigration status, ask your case worker for assistance. If not, contact your nearest CalWORKs Office to apply for benefits.

For Legal or immigration help, below is a list of Legal Services agencies:
Lady justice holding balance scales in front of a book shelf full of law books
  • 1736 Family Crisis Center (310) 370-5902 or (323) 737-3900
  • Antelope Valley Domestic Violence Council (661) 723-7772
  • Asian Americans Advancing Justice (213) 977-7500
  • Community Legal Aid SoCal (800) 834-5001
  • Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law (213) 388-7505
  • HealthRIGHT 360/Prototypes (323) 464-6281
  • Institute for Multicultural Educational Services (213) 381-1250
  • Jenesse Center, Inc. (323) 299-9496 or (800) 479-7328
  • Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) (800) 399-4529
  • Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice (323) 980-3500
  • Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County (800) 433-6251
  • Peace Over Violence (626) 584-6191
  • YWCA of Glendale (818) 242-4155