Skip to Main Content

Child Care

The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Child Care Program is managed by the California Department of Social Services in three stages for children through age 12 or children up to age 21 with an exceptional need or severely disabled. If you are receiving CalWORKs cash aid, we may help you with child care for 12 months.

CalWORKs Child Care
Students Engaging With Teacher

Detail Description

The CalWORKs Child Care Program is managed by the California Department of Social Services to help you with child care in three stages:

Stage 1: This Stage may provide child care help for up to 12 months.  You may be eligible for Stage 1 if you are receiving CalWORKs cash aid and requesting child care.  We will refer you to one of the 10 Resource and Referral/Alternative Payment Program contracted agencies to help you secure child care.  

You will continue to receive CalWORKs child care for 12 months, until you are transitioned to Stage 2, or become ineligible for Stage 1. Stage 1 may also be available if there is not enough funding in Stages 2 and 3.

Stage 2:  This Stage may provide child care help for up to 24 months after your CalWORKs cash aid is discontinued.

Stage 3:  You may be eligible for Stage 3 if you receive a CalWORKs diversion payment, are a former CalWORKs participant who is working, but left cash aid; and have exhausted your 24 months eligibility for Stage 1 and/or Stage 2 child care. 


CalWORKs child care is for children through age 12 and children up to age 21 with an exceptional need or are severely disabled. 

Child Care Referral Agencies

You may contact one of the local Resource and Referral/Alternative Payment Program agencies in your area to help you locate a licensed child care provider, if you need a referral or if you have any questions.

Alternative Payment Program agencies are contracted by DPSS to administer the CalWORKs Stage 1 Child Care Program that makes reimbursements to child care providers for providing child care. Resource and Referral agencies are contracted by California Department of Education that provide information and referrals to licensed child care services and coordination of community resources.

Below are the local R&R/APP agencies:

Child Care Resource Center Antelope Valley - R&R/APP
250 Grand Cypress Avenue
Palmdale, CA 93551
(661) 789-1200

Child Care Resource Center San Fernando Valley - R&R/APP
20001 Prairie Street
Chatsworth, CA 91311
(818) 717-1000

Connections for Children - R&R/APP
5901 W. Century Blvd., Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA 90045
(310) 452-3202

Crystal Stairs - R&R/APP
5110 West Goldleaf Circle, Suite 150
Los Angeles, CA 90056
(888) 543-7247
(323) 299-8998

Mexican American Opportunity Foundation - R&R/APP
401 N. Garfield Avenue
Montebello, CA 90640
(323) 890-1555

Options for Learning - R&R/APP
13100 Brooks Drive #100
Baldwin Park, CA 91706
(626) 856-5900

Options for Learning - R&R/APP
2465 East Walnut Street
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 449-8221

Pathways - R&R/APP
3325 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1100 
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 427-2700

Pomona Unified School District - R&R/APP
1460 East Holt Avenue, Suite 174
Pomona, CA 91767
(909) 397-4740

City of Norwalk – APP 
11929 Alondra Boulevard
Norwalk, CA 90650
(562) 462-1713

Drew Child Development Corporation – APP 
3737 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Suite 525
Lynwood, CA 90262
(310) 609-3885

International Institute of Los Angeles - APP
3845 Selig Place
Los Angeles, CA 90031
(323) 224-3800

For more information, contact:

The California Child Care Resource & Referral Network at (800) KIDS-793 or visit the R&R Network's website at 

The Child Care Alliance of Los Angeles (CCALA) toll free at (888) 92-CHILD or visit CCALA's website at

My 211LA at 211 or visit 211 website at

LA County Helps! visit website at

Apply On-Line with BenefitsCal

The easiest and quickest way is to apply for CalWORKs online at BenefitsCal.

Apply by Telephone for CalFresh and Medi-Cal
You can apply by phone. Call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777 to have an application mailed to you.

Apply In Person
You can apply In person at any Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) District Office or outreach site.
Your Child Care Choices

Parental Choice allows you to choose any of the following types of child care providers for the care of your child(ren)

Licensed Child Care Center

The center is licensed to operate with a school-like setting where children are grouped by age (infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and/or school-aged).  

Licensed Family Child Care Home

The provider uses their own home to care for your child(ren) and has been licensed through the State’s Community Care Licensing Division.

License-Exempt Child Care

A child care provider who is not required to have a child care license.  This could be a friend, family member, or neighbor. 

License-exempt providers require a background check unless the provider is the aunt, uncle, or grandparent of the child, related through blood or marriage. 

Before and After School Programs

Many public schools offer before and after school programs throughout Los Angeles County.  These programs provide a supervised educational and recreational setting. 

Frequently Asked Questions
What is TrustLine?

TrustLine is an important tool for you to use when selecting a provider.  TrustLine requires the provider who is not related to your child(ren) by blood or marriage to be cleared through a fingerprint check for background and records.

The provider can register with TrustLine by calling 1-800-822-8490 or