Skip to Main Content


Electronic Benefit Transfer

Image of how an EBT card looks like and a separate image of card being inserted into an ATM slot.

Los Angeles County participants are using the State's Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) system to receive CalFresh and cash benefits.

EBT will, in no way, impact the benefit amount, eligibility requirements or what cardholders may purchase using their CalFresh or cash benefits. With EBT, participants (primary cardholder) and designated alternate cardholders use the EBT (Golden State Advantage) card with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access their benefits electronically.

All cardholders may use their EBT (Golden State Advantage) card at participating retailers with a Point-of-Sale (POS) device and automated Teller machines (ATMs) displaying the Quest® logo throughout California and across the country.

Some banks charge $1.00 - $4.00 each time you withdraw cash benefits using your California Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. 

More Information on California's State EBT Project

List of Surcharge-Free and Surcharging EBT ATMs

Where Can I Use My EBT Card?

Notice: You may have received a replacement EBT card. 

Customers who qualified for a replacement EBT card have been mailed a card starting February through mid-March 2022.

The new card has advanced technology for safety. Your PIN will not change and the card may be activated simply by using it to make a food or cash transaction.  You will have 30 days to activate your replacement card before your old card stops working.  If you have any questions, please call the EBT Helpline at (877) 328-9677 or the DPSS Customer Service Center at (866) 613-3777.

Download the DPSS Mobile App for Android™ and Apple® to review recent EBT transactions, search for local ATMs that accept EBT, and find out surcharge amounts, if any, for a local EBT ATM.

Important Message for EBT Cardholders

You can request or designate a responsible person that you trust to use your EBT card. The designated/alternate Cardholder can use your cash and CalFresh benefits on your behalf. To designate someone, you must download, complete, signed, and submit the EBT–Request for Authorized Representative/Designated Alternate Cardholder form

You can submit this form by uploading it through our Your Benefits Now! website.

If your EBT card is lost or stolen, or if you need to change your PIN, Call (877) 328-9677.

Apply On-Line with BenefitsCal

The easiest and quickest way is to apply for benefits at BenefitsCal.

Apply by Telephone for CalFresh and Medi-Cal
You can apply by phone. Call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777 to have an application mailed to you.

Apply In Person
You can apply In person at any Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) District Office or outreach site.