Skip to Main Content

General Relief

General Relief (GR) is a County-funded program that provides cash aid if you are an adult without any income or resources, and children in certain special circumstances who are ineligible for federal or State programs.

Basic Eligibility

To be eligible for General Relief, you must be a resident of Los Angeles County and meet all the following eligibility requirements:

  • Your monthly net income is lower than the maximum GR grant of $221. The monthly net income for a couple is $375;

  • Your personal property has a combined value of $2,000 or less;

  • Your motor vehicle is valued at $4,500 or less.  If you are homeless and using the vehicle as a residence, the value is $11,500 or less. All other motor vehicles that you own and are not using a residence is valued at $4,500 or less. Only one motor vehicle may be retained.

  • When applying for aid, your cash on hand or in a bank account is $100 or less, or if a couple/family is $200 or less.  After you are approved for aid, your cash on hand or in a bank account is $1,500 or less.

  • Your real property (residence) has an assessed value of $34,000 or less and you agree to sign a lien, allowing the County to recover GR payments received under certain circumstances.

You are ineligible to GR if you:

  • Are in violation of probation or parole.

  • Are fleeing to avoid prosecution or custody/confinement after a felony conviction.

Person smiling
Apply On-Line with Your Benefits Now

The easiest and quickest way is to apply for General Relief online at Your Benefits Now.

Apply by Telephone for CalFresh and Medi-Cal
You can apply by phone. Call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777 to have an application mailed to you.

Apply In Person
You can apply In person at any Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) District Office or outreach site.
How to Apply By Fax or Mail

You may print the appropriate forms on page two of the  Application for General Relief Packet or you may request a packet from the Customer Services Center at: (866) 613-3777.  Once you have completed the packet, you may submit it by faxing to: (310) 215-8220, or by mailing to:

Department of Public Social Services
P.O. Box 1580
Inglewood, CA  90308