To be eligible for CAPI, you must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a California resident;
- Be age 65 or over, blind, or disabled;
- Be a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria in effect for SSI/SSP as of 08/21/96;
- Be ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to your immigration status. This means you must apply for SSI/SSP and submit proof of your ineligibility from the Social Security Administration;
- Have resources below the allowable limits of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple; and
- Have income less than the CAPI payment standards.
If eligible, your CAPI payment amount will depend on your marital status, living arrangement, and income.
You are not eligible for CAPI if you are:
- A United States (U. S.) Citizen;
- A resident of a public institution for at least 30 consecutive days;
- A fleeing felon/parole violator; or
- Outside of California for at least 30 consecutive days.