Frequently Asked Questions

Display menu

Frequently Asked Questions


How can I get replacement timesheets?

To request replacement timesheets, please call the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622.


Is Direct Deposit available for IHSS providers?

All IHSS providers are eligible for Direct Deposit if they:

  • Have a checking or savings bank account; and 
  • Must be actively working for an IHSS and/or WPCS recipient

As of 02/12/2018 California Department of Social Services (CDSS) developed a new Online Direct Deposit Enrollment Service for IHSS and Waiver Personal Care Services (WPCS) providers. This new service allows active IHSS and WPCS providers the ability to electronically enroll, change, or dis-enroll in Direct Deposit via the CDSS IHSS Electronic Timesheet System (ETS). In order to enroll in Direct Deposit via the IHSS ETS website you must:

  • You must meet the previous two criteria;
  • You must be registered on the IHSS ETS Website; and
  • Have your Bank Name, Account Number and the Routing Number.

To Register for the IHSS ETS Website: Go to the following website to set up an account, select the “New User Registration” link, and follow the online prompts: If you need help, please call the Electronic Timesheet Help Desk at 1-866-376-7066 (select Option 4.). 

Enrolling in direct deposit, either electronically or by mail, is not mandatory but is highly encouraged.

Direct Deposit is not available if your consumer/recipient pays you directly (Advance Pay).  

Direct Deposit requests are handled by the State.  For more information about Direct Deposit please call (866) 376-7066 Option 2.

Direct Deposit Flyer


What do I do if my check is lost or stolen?

If after 10 calendar days of submitting your timesheet, you have not received your check, contact the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622.  The Helpline agent will explain what to do.


What is the Service Employees International Union Local 2015 or SEIU Local 2015?

SEIU Local 2015 is the union that represents IHSS providers in Los Angeles County.  For more information regarding the union or any applicable fees, call SEIU Local 2015 at (855) 810-2015.


What is a share of cost?

IHSS consumers/recipients who get IHSS services also have Medi-Cal.  Some of these consumers must pay a certain dollar amount each month toward their medical expenses.  This dollar amount is called a share of cost (SOC).  A SOC is similar to a private insurance plan's out-of-pocket deductible.  Twice a month, both you and the consumer you work for will receive an "Explanation of IHSS SOC" letter that will tell you how much money to collect from the consumer, and how much you will get in the check from the State.  The SOC is part of the provider's salary.  The consumer must pay the SOC, if any, to the provider monthly.  The SOC may change from month to month.  


How do I get employment/income verifications?

Employment/income verifications must be requested from the appropriate IHSS office (the office responsible for the consumer/recipient's case).  Please call the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622 to submit the request.


Who is responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and if necessary, firing the provider?

The IHSS consumer/recipient or his/her authorized representative is responsible for hiring, training, supervising and if necessary, firing the provider.


What enrollment requirements must IHSS providers complete?  

All IHSS providers must complete ALL of the following enrollment requirements:

  • Attend an on-site, in person provider orientation session to obtain information about IHSS rules and requirements for being a provider; 
  • Complete and sign the IHSS Provider Enrollment Form (SOC 426).  The form must be submitted to the county in person.  Original documentation verifying the provider's identity (for example, current/unexpired government issued photo identification and social security card) must be provided to the county for photocopying
  • Complete and sign the Provider Enrollment Agreement (SOC 846).  The SOC 846 states that the provider understands and agrees tot he rules of the IHSS Program and the responsibilities of being an IHSS Provider; and 
  • Submit fingerprints and pass a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) from the Department of Justice.  The provider is responsible for paying for this service.

Note:  Providers cannot be enrolled and receive payment as an IHSS providers until ALL of the above requirements have been completed, including passing a CBI.  


What is my wage rate?

The wage rate for IHSS Providers is $12.60 per hour.



How do IHSS Providers get paid?

IHSS consumers and providers must complete, sign, date and mail timesheets verifying the delivery of authorized services for each pay period.  There are two (2) pay periods in the month.  The first pay period is from the 1st-15th of the month.  The second pay period is from the 16th-end of the month.  


What are the guidelines for completing my timesheet?

  • Use black ink only - no pencil, other colored ink, etc.

  • Do not staple, use white out, or correction tape

  • Do not alter any of the pre-printed information on your timesheet.

  • Timesheet must be signed by the consumer/recipient or authorized representative and by you, the provider.



How early can I send my timesheet?

Timesheets must be mailed on or after the end of the pay period or after the last day worked.  For example, if you worked until October 31st, you must mail the timesheet on or after October 31st.  

Note:  Timesheets received before the last day worked will not be processed and your payment will be delayed.  


How long does it take for timesheets to be processed?

It takes up to 10 calendar days for timesheets to be processed.  Once your timesheet has been processed, the State will issue the paycheck and will withhold the applicable deductions for disability insurance and Social Security.  You, as the IHSS provider, may also choose to have federal and State income taxes withheld.  IHSS providers are covered by Workers Compensation insurance.  


How do I submit my timesheet?


All timesheets must be mailed to:


IHSS Timesheet Processing Facility

P.O. Box 272862

Chico, CA  95927-2380



 How to become an IHSS provider on a Registry?

You may contact the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC).  The PASC is the Public Authority for Los Angeles County. ( The PASC operates a Registry to provide referrals for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact the PASC at (877) 565-4477 for more information.

You may also contact the Service Employees International Union- SEIU Local 2015  Homecare Exchange Registry. SEIU Local 2015 operates a Registry for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact SEIU Local 2015 at (855) 810-2015.

Services Locator

Services Locator Image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...