Frequently Asked Questions

Display menu

Frequently Asked Questions


What if I don't have a care provider?

If you need assistance locating a provider call the Personal Assistance Services Council (PASC). The PASC is the Public Authority for Los Angeles County. They operate a Registry to provide referrals for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact PASC at (877) 565-4477 for more information.


IHSS consumers who need assistance in locating a provider can also contact the Service Employees International Union, United Long Term Care Worker (ULTCW) Homecare Exchange Registry. The ULTCW union operates a Registry for IHSS consumers and providers. You may contact the Homecare Exchange Registry by calling 1-866-544-5742.



How Do I Enroll My Provider?

To add or change a provider, please call the IHSS Help Line at (888) 822-9622.

Your provider must complete or have completed all the following enrollment requirements within 90 days before he/she can be paid as an IHSS provider:

  • An on-site, in-person provider orientation to obtain information about IHSS rules and requirements for being a provider;
  • Complete and sign the IHSS Provider Enrollment Form, SOC 426. The form must be submitted to the county in person. Original documentation verifying the provider's identity (e.g. current/unexpired government issued photo identification and social security card) must be provided to the county for photocopying.
  • Complete and sign the Provider Enrollment Agreement, SOC 846. The SOC 846 states that the provider understands and agrees to the rules of the IHSS program and the responsibilities of being an IHSS provider; and
  • Submit fingerprints and pass a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) from the California Department of Justice. The provider is responsible for paying for this service.



What if I have questions about my IHSS hours? 

If you have any questions about your IHSSS hours, please contact the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622.


What if my health condition changes and I need more hours? 

If your health condition has changed and you believe you need more assistance, please contact the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622.


What Is Share of Cost (SOC)?

IHSS consumers who get IHSS services also have Medi-Cal. You, as an IHSS consumer, may have to pay a certain dollar amount each month toward your medical expenses. This dollar amount is called a Share of Cost (SOC). A SOC is similar to a private insurance plan's/recipient out-of-pocket deductible. Twice a month, both you and the provider who works for you will receive an "Explanation of IHSS SOC" letter that will tell you how much money to pay the provider. The SOC is part of provider's salary. You, as the IHSS consumer, must pay the SOC, if any, to the provider monthly. The SOC may change from month to month.


How Do I File For A Fair Hearing?

Refer to the back of your notice of action for instructions on how to request a Fair Hearing. If you misplaced your notice of action, contact the IHSS Helpline at (888) 822-9622 to request a copy of the notice of action.


Services Locator

Services Locator Image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...