Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Information Corner
Overtime Rules in IHSS
On February 1, 2016, providers became eligible to receive payment for:
- Hours worked over 40 hours in one work week; and
- Time spent traveling from one consumer’s residence to another on the same day.
The Overtime and Travel Time Information Flyer provides additional information on:
- Limit on how many hours’ providers can work weekly;
- What can cause a provider to receive a violation;
- Violation stages;
- Who to contact with questions regarding overtime rules and/or violations.
Educational Videos are also available at the California Department of Social Services Website
Recipients or providers, who have submitted and have a pending request to the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) for a Live-In Family Provider, or Extraordinary Circumstances exemption, may contact the Department directly at (916) 551-1011, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. to find out the status of their request. When leaving a message, please include your name and telephone number.
Written inquiries can be sent to:
California Department of Social Services
744 P Street, Mail Stop 9-9-04
Sacramento, CA 95814
Or via email at:
When recipients require a provider to work more than the recipient’s maximum weekly hours and it does not meet one of the criteria below, the recipient must contact the County (as soon as possible) to request a one-time exception to prevent the IHSS provider from incurring a violation.
On occasion, it may be necessary for a recipient to authorize his/her provider to work more than the recipient’s maximum weekly hours. The recipient may make the authorization without requesting approval from the County when:
- The adjustment in the work schedule does not result in the provider working more than 40 hours a week, when the recipient is authorized 40 hours or less in a workweek;
- The adjustment in the work schedule does not result in the provider receiving more overtime hours than he/she normally works in a calendar month; and
- The adjustment in the work schedule does not result in a provider (working for multiple recipients) working more than the maximum weekly limit of 66 hours.
To request the one-time exception, contact your local IHSS Office at any of the numbers below and ask to speak to someone in the FLSA Unit:
Burbank (888) 822-9622
Lancaster (888) 822-9622
Chatsworth (888) 822-9622
Metro (866) 512-2857
El Monte (888) 322-2204
Pomona (866) 465-0905
Hawthorne (866) 512-2856
Rancho Dominguez (888) 896-0044
Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...
Important Phone Numbers
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- IHSS Application, Toll Free:
1-888-944-IHSS (4477) or
- L.A. County Toll Free Info. Line: 211
- Adult Protective Services (APS):
- IHSS Helpline:
- Provider Registry: Personal Assistance Service Council (PASC):
- PASC CBI Clearance Inquiry:
- SEIU Local 2015:
- IHSS Provider Self Service Line: