General Relief (GR)
General Relief (GR) is a County-funded program that provides financial assistance to indigent adults who are ineligible for federal or State programs. An average GR case consists of one person, living alone, with no income or resources.
The GR caseload includes the following employability status classifications:
- Employables are participants with minor restrictions or no medical conditions that would prevent employment. GR employables may receive GR for nine months in a 12-month period, provided they continue to comply with General Relief Opportunities for Work (GROW) requirements.
- Temporary Unemployables are participants who have one or more medical conditions affecting their ability to work and their condition will last less than 12 months. GR benefits are not time limited for unemployables.
- Permanent Unemployables are participants who have one or more medical conditions affecting their ability to work, may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and their condition will last more than 12 months or is terminal. GR benefits are not time limited for unemployables.
- Unemployable Volunteers are assigned to individuals who are unemployable (temporary or permanent), but volunteer to participate in GROW.
- NSA means Need Special Assistance and is the identification of individuals who need special assistance due to a mental disability.
- Administratively Unemployable means there are reasons other than physical or mental incapacity which prevents the individual from finding, accepting or continuing existing employment.
The GROW program offers employment and training services to employable GR participants and is designed to help them obtain jobs and achieve self-sufficiency. Substance abuse treatment is also available if necessary.
HOW TO APPLY FOR GR
To apply for General Relief benefits, please print and fill out the Application for General Relief Packet. Once you have filled out your application and forms, fax it to: (310) 215-8220, or mail it to:
Department of Public Social Services
P.O. Box 1580
Inglewood, CA 90308-1580
ATTN: GR APPLICATION
OR, you can bring it to your nearest GR District Office. Application materials are available in English, Spanish, Cambodian, Chinese, Armenian, Tagalog, Korean, Russian, and Vietnamese. For assistance, or to request an application be mailed to you, please contact DPSS Customer Service Center at (866) 613-3777. To schedule an appointment to turn in your NEW application click on the Make an Appointment link below.
Get Help With Your EBT Card
If you are applying or receiving GR, you can choose someone to be an Alternate Cardholder on your GR case. If you choose to have an Alternate Cardholder, they will also receive an EBT card and have full access to your benefits just as you do.
Tell your worker if you want someone to be an Alternate Cardholder on your case when you are applying for benefits. Be sure you choose someone you really trust! To add, change or remove an EBT Alternate Cardholder from your case, you will need to fill out a Request for Authorized Representative/Designated Alternate Cardholder form and give it to your worker in person or by mail. DPSS will not be held responsible for your Alternate Cardholder's misuse of funds.
If you have questions or need assistance with choosing an Alternate Cardholder, call the Customer Service Center at: 866-613-3777. For more information on EBT and Alternate Cardholders, please visit the DPSS EBT website.
AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT
DO YOU NEED HELP BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY?
If you have physical, mental, or other serious conditions that make it hard for you to apply for benefits or get services, please call:
(844) 586-5550 (Voice)
Office hours: Mon to Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(800) 855-7100 (TTY California Relay)
For general questions about the General Relief Program, please call our customer service center,
24 hours a day, 7 days a week at:
(866) 613-3777 (Automated System)
(800) 855-7100 (TTY California Relay)
For more information on Americans with Disabilities Act click HERE.
Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...