Important Messages!

Be Aware of EBT Scams

Be Aware of EBT scams on the internet or through Smart Phone applications.  Visit the State of California website for information and updates on EBT scams.

To replace a lost or stolen EBT Card, contact you DPSS worker or the California Customer Service Center at (877) 328-9677.  CalFresh benefits withdrawn without your authorization cannot be replaced.


CalFresh Trafficking


What is CalFresh Trafficking?

CalFresh Trafficking is when CalFresh benefits are bought, sold, or traded for cash.  It is also considered Trafficking when benefits are traded for items other than eligible food, such as firearms, ammunition, explosives, or controlled substances.  (This is Fraud, it is a Crime and it is Against The Law!)

CalFresh Penalties for Trafficking:

If you do not follow CalFresh rules, your benefits can be stopped for 12 months for the first violation, 24 months for the second, and forever for the third. You may be fined up to $250,000 and/or sent to jail/prison for 20 years.

If you are found guilty in any court of law or administrative hearing because:

  • You traded or sold CalFresh benefits for firearms, ammunition, or explosives;
    Your CalFresh benefits can be stopped forever for the first violation.
  • You traded or sold CalFresh benefits for a controlled substance;
    Your CalFresh benefits can be stopped for 24 months for the first violation and forever for the second.
  • You traded or sold CalFresh benefits that were worth $500 or more;
    Your CalFresh benefits can be stopped forever.

If your household receives CalFresh benefits, it must follow these rules:

  • Do not trade or sell your Electronic Benefit Card (EBT) card.
  • Do not alter your EBT card to get CalFresh benefits you are not entitled to get.
  • Do not use CalFresh benefits to buy ineligible items such as alcoholic drinks, tobacco, paper, or cleaning products.
  • Do not buy or use someone else's EBT card for your household.

If you witness any type of fraud, including CalFresh Trafficking, REPORT IT!

Report Fraud to Los Angeles County Welfare Fraud Prevention and Investigation:

Central Fraud Reporting Line: (800) 349-9970     We Tip Hotline: (800) 782-7463

You may also report CalFresh Trafficking to the USDA Office of Inspector General:

Call: (800) 424-9121     or     E-Mail:

Services Locator

Services Locator Image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...