How To Apply
Great news, you now have many choices in the way you apply for CalFresh benefits. You can apply for CalFresh benefits if you only provide your name, address and signature. You can have an authorized representative applying for CalFresh on your behalf.
You can apply for CalFresh:
- Online at dpssbenefits.lacounty.gov,
- By telephone if you call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777,
- At one of our Community Partner location. Click this link for a listing of locations,
- By mail. Call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777 and ask for a CalFresh application to be mailed to you. Once you have filled out your CalFresh application and forms, mail them to your local CalFresh Office. Click this link for a listing of office locations,
- By fax. Once you have filled out your CalFresh application and forms, fax them to (310) 215-8220 or your local CalFresh Office. Click this link for a listing of locations, or
- In person at any CalFresh Office. Click this link for a listing of office locations.
CalFresh/Medi-Cal Outreach Eligibility Workers are now stationed at various non-traditional sites such as health clinics, food pantries, farmers' markets, WIC sites, churches, and schools, where they accept and assist with CalFresh and/or Medi-Cal applications. Click this link or call the Customer Service Center (CSC) (866) 613-3777 to find the non-traditional/outreach sites in your community.
Once your application has been completed and submitted, an Eligibility Worker will interview you and review your application. S/he will then determine if you are eligible to CalFresh benefits, and if so, to the amount you may be entitled each month. The entire process must be completed in 30 days, but if you have an emergency situation, you can get CalFresh benefits in three days. Be sure to tell your Eligibility Worker if you have an emergency and need your CalFresh benefits right away.
Once your case is approved, you will receive an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Card and Personal Identification Number (PIN) that will allow you to make food purchases at grocery stores and farmers' markets that accept EBT.
After your application is approved, you will need to report your household changes (household member, income, expense...) on a Semi-Annual Report (SAR 7). You will receive the report in the mail. You must submit this report for ongoing CalFresh eligibility determination. Also, you will need to comply with a yearly Re-evaluation for ongoing CalFresh eligibility determination.