Frequently Asked Questions

Display menu

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I view my benefit information online?

Your Benefits Now! is a web site for Los Angeles County Residents to apply for and to view their benefits online.


How can I get cash for my family?

DPSS offers the following cash aid programs:



Am I eligible for CalFresh (Food Stamps)?

Your Benefits Now! is a web site for Los Angeles County Residents to apply for and to view their benefits online. There is also a Pre-Screening Tool you can use to determine if you may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits. This Pre-Screening Tool is not an application for CalFresh. You may also want to view basic CalFresh eligibility requirements before completing a lengthy application.


Where can I get help for my elderly parents?

There are several services available:



Where can I get help to find a place to live?

DPSS Housing Program includes a number of benefit and services designed to assist homeless families and families at risk of homelessness to move out of the current situation and into affordable permanent housing.  The benefits and services provided under the DPSS Housing Program are 

These benefits and services are administered by specialized Eligibility Workers called Housing Resource Eligibility Workers and GAIN Services Workers called Homeless Case Managers.


Where can I report child abuse?

To report Child Abuse in Los Angeles County, California, contact the Child Protection Hotline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Toll-free within California, phone (800) 540-4000 If calling from outside of California, phone (213) 639-4500 TDD [Hearing Impaired] (800) 272-6699


What can I do if I am applying for or receiving benefits and feel that I have been treated unfairly?

The Civil Rights Unit investigates participant allegations of discrimination and monitors all DPSS sites and DPSS contractors public contact offices for compliance with Division 21, California Department of Social Services (CDSS) regulations as well as American with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations.



How can I get help for an older person that is not receiving proper care or is being abused?

Adult Protective Services (APS) is a 24-hour service program designed to investigate all reported at-risk situations without regard to income involving individuals 65 or older and dependent adults (18-64 who are physically or mentally impaired). Types of referrals include physical, sexual or financial abuse, isolation, neglect, or self-neglect.


Where can I report someone who is getting benefits in Los Angeles County when they shouldn't?

You can report fraud immediately using the On-Line Welfare Fraud Reporting referral form.

Telephone hotlines are also available for reporting welfare fraud.

    • Central Fraud Reporting Line (800) 349-9970
      The County-operated CFRL began operation in 1978 under a mandate by the County Board of Supervisors.
    • We Tip Hotline (800)782-7463
      In March 1988, the County entered into a contract with We Tip, Inc., to receive reports of possible welfare fraud.



How can I enter into a business relationship with Los Angeles County?

More information about the County's purchasing and contracting programs is available from the Doing business with LA County website, including:

  • how to become a registered vendor
  • what County business requirements are imposed on vendors
  • what the County buys
  • what purchasing and contracting opportunities are available
  • how to participate in commodity purchasing and service contracting
  • where to locate other government resources


Services Locator

Services Locator Image

Find the LA County services and facilities that serve your area...